Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Northeast Harbor on Mt. Desert Island


Here's a couple of photos of Northeast Harbor off season. I understand during season its one of the busiest in Maine, and off season, well its still a lot busier than anything we see in NC. You can see us pulled up to the dock in one of the shots while we are filling up our water tanks and pumping out our holding tank.

Well, with the particular winds we were having, and with the little swell that was making it in, our anchorage in Southwest Harbor was just downright uncomfortable. So we decided to try out Northeast Harbor also on Mt. Desert Island. Northeast Harbor is considered the boating center of Mt. Desert Island and no anchoring is allowed here, only mooring. So we picked up a mooring at $25 a night at N44 17.787 W68 17.000. Its pretty convenient here because we are quite close to the docks, the bus stop, and the town…and we have some wireless every once in a while. We are so close to the docks, we could sit and watch the staff serving dinner to the guests on the megayacht at the end of the nearest dock…no, they did not invite us over for coffee.

There’s also something here we’ve never seen. You usually have docks attached to the land, and then mooring buoys out in the water; up here in the northeast it seems that every harbor is full of mooring buoys with little or no space to anchor. The mooring buoy is attached to a large chain, attached to a granite block “anchor” weighing around a ton. The new thing for us here in Northeast Harbor is a mooring dock…there are lots of docks out in the water which are about 10 feet wide by 50 feet long with a boat along either side, but the dock must be moored just like our mooring buoy is. I’m not sure if I would care for it, because one of the great things about mooring buoys is you don’t have to fuss with any lines. Maybe they have some of the amenities that a landbased dock has like power or water, but we can’t tell.

Oh, I would be remiss not to mention the harbormaster here. Our treatment by harbormasters so far on this journey has been from toleration to scorn, but the Northeastern Harbor Harbormaster was so friendly and went out of his way to be helpful that I wonder if he isn’t a closet southerner.

We are thinking of leaving Thursday afternoon and arriving somewhere in Massachusetts on Saturday morning, but we aren’t going to make any predictions anymore. We’ll let you know where we are when we get there (except of course, for Mom and Dad, we’ll call you and let you know exactly when we are leaving and what our course will be – safety first).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mindy,

    Went in to my doc's office today, and passed your cruise plan, blog and email address to Suzanne Chabon. She's the lady I told you about who, with her husband, did the same thing you and Reinhart are doing now, a couple of years ago. She asked me how well you all were sticking to your schedule. I had to admit that I didn't know. She may contact you with some helpful hints.

    Well, the kids are all in kindergarten. It was rough last week. Nick was a real challenge for his teacher, and Gabby cried everyday. Tressa was a real trooper. I pick up Gabby and Tressa at 1:45, and Nick at 2:00. The girls actually asked me if they could stay until the end of the day (3:15) to have a "sleepover". The kids who don't leave at 1:45, take a nap, and then are picked up later. I don't know if this will happen or not. The traffic is horrible at their school. Parents start lining up 30 min. before school releases. It's the same at Nick's school too. When I go to pick him up at 2:00, the cars are already lining up for a 2:25 release time.
    Mark and I are going down to the sailboat in Southport next weekend. It was supposed to be a weekend away to celebrate his birthday, but they have now decided to move the boat to Carolina Beach, so I have a feeling I will be driving the car from Southport to Carolina beach while Mark is helping Bill Crews sail the boat.

    The pictures are great. Mindy, you actually look very tan! The beard works for Reinhart too. He will probably appreciate having it when those cool winds start swirling.

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reinhart,
    unser alter Hausmeister Wurm im Brosis Block in Hoechst ist gestorben. That stinks....65 Jahre alt, grad in der rente und hat einen herzinfarkt im Urlaub in der Steiermark. Kannst dich noch erinnern an unseren Spruch? "Wer schleicht hier rum bei Nacht und Sturm, es ist der Frauenmoerder Wurm". Huh....RIP.

    ReplyDelete