Acadia National Park is full of hiking trails, biking trails, and scenic ways. There are several campgrounds as well, but I don’t think we’ll spend the night on shore while we are here. While we are enjoying our time here, I’ll go ahead and let you know what our daily lives have been like on Maia (Caliber 40 LRC) for the past several weeks.
We wake up each day between 7:30 and 8:30 and dilly-dally our way through breakfast. Before breakfast, Reinhart compulsively checks to see how many amp hours we used overnight and looks to the sky in hopes of ample sunshine to satisfy our hungry solar panels. Every once in a while I make omelets or muffins, but usually its coffee, toast and jelly for Reinhart, and tea, toast and Nutella for me. No one needs to worry about me not getting my chocolate quota! After cleaning up we take our time and hop in the dinghy for a ride to the wharf from our anchorage. If the bikes aren’t on shore yet, Reinhart takes them out of the carry bags and assembles them on the boat, and then we take them on shore with the dinghy and keep then locked up there until we move on. I have a large colorful basket on the back of my bike for groceries, dinghy fuel, laundry, or all of that boat stuff we keep buying.
One day we’ll walk around the village we are anchored in and check out the galleries, markets, and book stores; another day we’ll ride the bikes to another town which may have a museum or a nice historic district. Another day we’ll take the dinghy exploring somewhere. We have weekly chores such as grocery shopping for fruits, vegetables and meats, doing laundry, and bringing our trash to shore. Of course we get ice cream at least once a week if not twice. Most of the time we have lunch on the boat or bring a couple of bars and fruit with us, but we have eaten lunch out a few times as well. We almost always head back to the boat to make dinner. I make scallops quite a bit, and Reinhart has been grilling a lot; we have wine almost every night we are in port. We’ve been eating like Kings!
If it was sunny and we have ample power, we usually heat our water a bit for washing the dishes and taking showers. Our initial plan was to find showers on land, but for the most part we’ve taken all of our showers on the boat. Reinhart only likes to shave when he is on solid ground though, so he’s grown a pretty nice beard. Our hair is getting long too, and blonde. I think our tans have been fading since we left Massachusetts, but I’m sure we’ll look quite a bit darker than our usual pale selves to all of our friends.
We usually aren’t quite ready to leave when we determine its time to move on to the next destination. We bring the bikes back to the boat and Reinhart disassembles them and stores them in the aft cabin while I stow all loose things in the cabin somewhere safe. So far, when we leave a port we’ve been at for a while, we go for a lovely day-sail for several hours and stay in a nice secluded anchorage overnight. The next morning we roll up the dinghy and store it in the boat for our long voyage of about 24 hours. This is where we get into very serious sailor mode with 3 hour watches, quick food, no alcohol, and use our pfd’s (life vests), tethers and jacklines.
I’ve been surprised with how little we are sailing; we enjoy our time in the ports most of all. I’ve been surprised with how little interest I have in being at a dock; it’s so easy to anchor or to pick up a mooring. We plan to dock when we see Mom and Dad; after that I don’t care if we dock until we get back to NC for the holidays. I am very surprised how long our water lasts us, even with taking almost all of our showers on board, and not being overly conservative, the water in our tanks lasts over two weeks! We are so pleased with how comfortable our life is and how we consider Maia our home.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
...."surprised at how little sailing we have done".... you know it would have been cheaper to fly to these places and rent boats to sleep on. But that's just my thoughts......of which I have many...
ReplyDeleteHello I want to congratulate to you. This site is fantastic, looks like entertained and very good to me it elaborated. I invite them to that they explore a little on my site of the Web
ReplyDeleteOur real estate listing includes great opportunities on Costa Rica Central Valley’s provinces such as San Jose, our Capital, with remarkable cities as Escazu at the west, or Curridabat at the east, experiencing a great development on both commercial and residential properties, making their real estate pricing highly attractive to investors; on other hand, Alajuela city gathers places with a very special warm weather such as Grecia, La Garita and Atenas, or beautiful farms for agricultural, cattle or nature preservation purposes as those located on San Carlos or Sarapiqui. We also offer land properties in Guanacaste, which is the province, along with Puntarenas, with the most beautiful tropical beaches on the Pacific Coast such as Tamarindo, Playa Grande, El Coco, Playa Hermosa, Nosara, Samara, Herradura, Jaco, Manuel Antonio, Dominical and Golfito, where the real estate business occupies the first place as the local economic activity.
Great investment opportunity at Costa Rica Pacific Coast, Preconstruction condos in costa rica
Condo sales in costa rica, Retirement property in costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.costa-ricarealestate.com/