Tuesday, August 8, 2006

The Changes Continue...we are in Buzzards Bay, MA

We got underway from Annapolis just as expected on Saturday morning. We made great time up through the Chesapeake and through the Canal. We spent our first night of the leg making our way down the Delaware Bay with the BIG boats and entered the Atlantic at Cape May, NJ at sunrise on Sunday. Our first day out on the ocean was lovely, Reinhart caught a small bluefin tuna and then it ran off with his good lure! I can't tell you how disappointed he was about losing that fight, but later on he saw a group of whales and that made up for everything. We also saw dolphins and a really large sea turtle along the way as well. As we got further out to sea and in the really deep water, those seas got rollier and rollier. During Reinhart's sleep in the aft cabin (sea berth) on Sunday night he developed a pretty distinct case of Seasickness, even though he'd been taking Dramamine for a couple of days. He was very sick all day Monday and as the sun was setting we decided to change course and head 20 degrees to come right in past Martha's Vineyard and through Buzzard's Bay and take the inland route through the Cape Cod Canal rather than go far around the Nantucket Shoals...then we took it a bit further and decided if we were going to pass through Buzzard's Bay, might as well spend a day or two there. Reinhart didn't get any better until we entered the Bay; he went a day and a half without barely moving and with just a couple of sips of water...we'll do some reading up on Mal de Mer and see if there's something we can do next time.

We entered Buzzard's Bay at 8 am Tuesday morning, and came to our anchorage off South Dartmouth, MA, around 10 am, 491 miles after we left Annapolis. We are anchored in Apponagansett Bay with about 1000 boats...no, I'm not kidding. Our coordinates are N 41 34.426 W 70 56.542, more info to come after we check out town, but currently we are thinking we may stay today and tomorrow and head for Maine on Thursday morning.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry Rhiney was so sick. I read somewhere eating a big bowl of chili will settle a bad stomach. You should have him try that next time.

    We miss you guys here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that only i got seasick on my own boat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got around to reading everything.
    Where are the pictures of reinhart "Piuking"-sorry couldn't resist.
    at least post the whale pics.
    ask your mom or dad to catch up with me before they meet you so that i can get whatever else you need from here.
    Christy says hi.
    miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell of my chair laughing about Reinhart puking.....hey, that is funny. A sailor who is puking is like a German who can't drink beer.....
    Good luck and call me on my skype phone when you are not feeding the fish:)
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Andreas said..........."Ditto"

    I was just trying to be nice earlier.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chuck, LOL...you and I are entitled to give Reinhart some crap - smile.
    Hope he is feeling better now, but I am still laughing........
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha....He and I talked today on the phone, he sounded already better. Nancy is coming tomorrow to stay with me for the weekend and we are going to Kristi Papp's wedding. I will be the guy holding the huge sign: "DON'T DO IT". - LOL. I will tell you next week how the wedding went, I hear they invited 300 people...holy, freaking crap! Who knows that many people?

    ReplyDelete