Tuesday, February 6, 2007

What a drag!

Anyone who was watching the Super Bowl can see that we were getting some rain in Miami on Sunday.  No problem for us; the boat really needed the rinse and we need our rain days every once in a while to force us to do our boat projects.  The problem with Sunday wasn’t the rain; it was the winds that whipped up afterwards.  I was having a problem sleeping with the howling winds and the boat rocking & rolling…good thing, because I was awake around midnight to notice that we were dragging our anchor…and fast.  Unfortunately, I didn’t notice it quickly enough to keep us from banging into another boat.  Boy, were they surprised.  We got a couple of little scratches and they got a couple of scratches; we are still trying to work out the particulars.  I got a couple of scratches as well; the anchor locker blew down on my face as I leaned in to get the fenders out; I have a scrape on my nose and big puffy Hollywood lips.  We ended up pulling up the anchor and moving in closer to land where the holding ground is a bit better and the winds don’t kick up as many waves.  It’s a lot more crowded though, and we have to make sure we don’t get too close to our neighbors.  These winds have made the dinghy ride to shore a bit wetter than usual; waves come right over into it.  We have really been putting the Volvo dry bag that Christy gave us to good use…the computer makes it to shore dry even if we get drenched.  We are having a nice sunny laundry day today though to take care of those salty clothes.  We’ll be having a real treat of a rental car on Wednesday. I had a free rental day certificate from Hertz and was surprised to find they’d let me use it without paying for more days; we only have to pay the tax, so it will cost us a whopping $5.02!  It’s definitely worth it to get our errands done in one day rather than taking 2-3 days. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Mindy,

    Way to sacrifice yourself for the boat. Most people have to pay a fortune for Hollywood Lips. Glad you guys made it through Sunday. Looked rainy as heck on TV.....

    Will Reinhardt remember how to drive? .....Lisa Parks....

    ReplyDelete