Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Back in Denver-metro

Reinhart and I weathered our division just fine. I had a great time with friends and family in NC and he had a world of new exciting experiences in Antarctica. I picked him up at the airport on January 29, and it was as if he had only been gone a week. Since then, we’ve been having a blast skiing and hiking on the weekends, but we keep forgetting to take pictures now that we are together all of the time. There are no new pictures on picasa, but if you haven’t seen Reinhart’s pictures from Antarctica, please check them out (link right).

We’ve experienced 3 seasons in Denver so far and can say that if we knew how awesome the weather was, we’d have moved here a long time ago. The weather is almost always sunny, dry, and warmer than I expected, with the cold and snowy Rockies protecting us from the big weather systems. We have wicked warm winds which blow a great deal of the time, and remind Reinhart of the foehn winds in Vorarlberg. We’ve heard the spring can be a bit of a bear, bringing cold weather and heavy snowfalls from Canada down into Denver; so we’ve gone ahead and put on our snow tires and await the March snows.

So far, we’ve been skiing in Breckenridge (gorgeous but windy), Vail (awesome but bad parking), Keystone (with Mackey, Dewey, Brooks, & Rich), and Arapahoe Basin (very few skiers on their steep slopes but slow lifts). I took a hard fall at Keystone (I’m just fine, guys), slid down an entire run and badly bruised my calf…it looked bad for my nose as well for a day or two, but it is just fine. Reinhart is working hard on his condition; he wants to be able to do a bump run from top to bottom without exhausting himself. Y’all know me; I’m just happy skiing a few hours and then calling it quits. It’s a hard decision where we want to go back to next; they all have fabulous pros and very few cons. Maybe Breckenridge this weekend if it isn’t too windy and Keystone if it is. We know we’ll be joining Karen and Chris at one of the Summit County resorts in early March and we are really looking forward to seeing them.

I’m still hoping to join Reinhart in Antarctica next season. The positions will open up in March, so I should know something by late spring. We’ll update you when we know something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment